Sully District Council of Citizen Associations
Land Use and Transportation Committee
submitted by Jeffrey M. Parnes
At the August 3 meeting of the Sully District Council of Citizen Associations Land Use and Transportation the following topics were discussed:
The parcel north of the new Rachel Carson Intermediate School (on McLearen Road) and Horse Pen Creek was rezoned from industrial to townhouse PDH. Its immediate neighbors, across Horse Pen Creek to the north, were upset with the apparent increased density. The Sully Annual Plan Review Task Force, when considering the parcel, felt that its current industrial planning was incompatible with its current situation, sandwiched between the school and the stream valley, and that the town house plan would allow the bulk of the stream valley to remain undeveloped.
The Sully District Council, based on actions taken at its May meeting, formally sent a letter commenting on the I-66 Major Infrastructure Study (MIS). The District Council members felt that these improvements should be implemented at different schedules, with the following improvements ranked as high priority: reversible, barrier-separated HOV on I-66; and extension of the existing Metrorail system to Centreville.
The Committee's recommendation that the re-planning for the Middleton Farm, just across Horse Pen Creek from Chantilly Highlands, allow two points of access was sent to the Board of Supervisors. Based on the opposition of the surrounding existing communities, the plan was approved with a second access point for emergency use only. It will be up to VDOT to determine if this lack of a second unfettered entrance will be satisfactory based on the size of the proposed community.
On 5 August, VDOT held a Public Information Meeting on the proposed Stringfellow Road Park and Ride. The facility will be located on Stringfellow Road on its northwest corner with I-66. The Park and Ride Facility will require the taking of four houses on the west side of Stringfellow Road to accommodate its widening and the construction of a median and turn lanes.
The entrance to the facility will be opposite the current light south of where Fair Lakes Parkway intersects with Stringfellow Road. The proposed Park and Ride facility will be built on less than half of the overall site, so that future expansion can be accommodated. Current plans call for 387 grade-level spaces, as well as a "kiss and ride" area, bus loading bays and bus shelters. If
all goes according to schedule, plans are for the advertisement for construction to take place in early 2000. Federal and State funds will pay for the $5.5 million cost.
Upcoming events on 9 September:
- The Dulles Corridor Express Bus Service Plan expansion, scheduled for completion early 1999, will cause bus service from Franklin Farm, Chantilly Highlands, and other northern Sully communities to be restructured to feed the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride. The Department of Transportation is planning to hold public meetings on 7:30 Wednesday, 9 September at the Herndon Council Chambers.
- The Planning Commission will consider the Sully District Plan amendments at its 9 September 1998 meeting. The committee is basically in agreement with the recommendations of the Sully District Annual Plan Review Task Force.
The schedule for the rest of the year's Sully District Council meetings:
- 23 September: Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Annex at Dulles
- 28 October: Park and Public Safety Bond Referenda Speakers
- 18 November: Sully Supervisor Mike Frey's Report to Sully (third Wednesday instead of fourth)
- 16 December: Sully Planning Commissioner Ron Koch with representatives of the Office of Comprehensive Planning (third Wednesday instead of fourth).
The next Sully District Council Land Use and Transportation Committee is scheduled for Monday, 31 August 1998 at 7:30 pm in the conference room adjacent to Supervisor Frey's office, 5900 Centreville Road in the Fort Hill Centre Building.
Jeffrey M. Parnes
Chair, Sully District Council
Land Use and Transportation Committee
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
last modified Tuesday, 26 October 2004
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes