6 May 2002 Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee Report
by Jeff Parnes
- Members: Dick Frank (Sully Transportation Advisory Commissioner), Jim Hart (Virginia Run), Jeff Parnes (Chantilly Highlands), and Larry Tessier (Franklin Glen)
- Guests: Evelyn and Joe Madigan (Sudley Forest)
- Old Business:
- A discussion was held informally with the guests on possible alignments for the Tri-County Connector.
- Route 28 widening: Loudoun and Fairfax counties have put their respective moral obligations behind the bonds being offered by the Route 28 tax authority. The reduced funds based on the smaller bond sale will only pay for six interchanges instead of the projected ten, and the road will remain at six lanes instead of the projected eight. The planned three interchanges in Fairfax County include Westfields, McLearen, and a full interchange at Barnesfield Road. Improvements to Centreville Road are part of the overall plan to improve traffic flow on Route 28 and so are expected to remain in the state’s 6-years plan.
The question was raised that although the comprehensive plan calls for Barnesfield Road to not have direct access to Franklin Farm Road when the Barnesfield Road interchange is completed, there are no current plans for that rerouting to take place as the interchange is built - that re-routing was to happen when the parcels on the west side of Centreville Road redeveloped.
- Plans for developing the parcel at the southwest corner of Routes 50 and 28 include Target, Home Depot, restaurants, filling station and another hotel.
- A previous proposal to replan an out lot on Oxon Road between Thompson and West Ox roads to allow three dwellings, which had not been approved, had been resubmitted for only two dwellings, and that had been approved.
- New Business:
- The Fairfax County Park Authority will hold a series of four Public Forums aimed at making citizens aware of the Parks and Recreation Needs Assessment Study currently underway and to receive input from residents on recreational needs. The Public Forums will be held as follows:
- May 20, 2002 at 7:00 p.m. Mason District Government Center, 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale
- May 21, 2002 at 7:00 p.m. McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside, McLean
- May 22, 2002 at 7:00 p.m. FCPA Headquarters, Herrity Building, Rooms 106 and 107, 12055 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax
- May 23, 2002 at 7:00 p.m. Whitman Intermediate School Lecture Hall, 2500 Parkers Lane, Alexandria
- Upcoming Presentation: Proponent: VDOT, What: Action: Widening I-495 When: 5 - 9PM (with presentation at 6), Where:
The hearings will be held from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm each date. A formal presentation and public question and comment period will begin at 6:00 pm.
- 28 May (Springfield Hilton - 6550 Loisdale Rd),
- 29 May (Tysons Westpark Hotel - 8401 Westpark Dr.)
- 30 May (Fairview Park Marriott - 3111 Fairview Park Dr)
- Next meeting is scheduled for 3 June 2002.
Jeffrey M. Parnes
Chair, Sully District Council
Land Use and Transportation Committee
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
last modified Tuesday, 26 October 2004
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes