Agenda for 24 January 2007 Sully District Council Meeting
by Jeff Parnes
- The Sully District Council will meet at 7:00 p.m. in the Sully District Governmental Center meeting room 1, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly, VA, 20151. The meeting will be cancelled if Fairfax County Schools or after school activities are cancelled due to adverse weather the day of the meeting..
- No general membership items
- The Centerview publishewd two articles on our December meeting:
- Land Use and Transportation
- Proponent: Keith C. Martin
- Action: Rezoning from PDC to R-8 with a concurrent SE for Independent Living Facility for 200 units in conformance with the recently adopted APR. Also have a concurrent PCA/FDPA to delete the 7 acres from the PDC zoning approved with RZ 1998-SU-009.
- Location: Approx. 7 acres on north side of Rte 50 on Fair Ridge Dr.behind the Hilton Garden Inn
- Proponent: Jill Switkin, Esq. Associate, Cooley Godward Kronish LLP representing Commonwealth Centre Investors, LLC
- Action: The Development will include a combination of office, two nationally known and branded hotels, as well as support
retail comprising +/-80,000 square feet intended to serve the needs of the area's businesses and employees. Furthermore, the Development
will incorporate stormwater management measures and best management practices, low-impact development designs and materials, and
environmentally sensitive streetscape and landscaping. In sum, the Commonwealth Centre will be a pedestiran and environment-friendly,
commerical mixed-use development that caters to the market demands of Westfields.
- Location: Develop the Commonwealth Centre, generally bounded on the east by Westfields Boulevard/Route 662, on the west by
Sully Road/Route 28 and on the south by the intersection of Westfields Boulevard and Sully Road and located in the heart of
Westfields in Fairfax County, with a commercial mixed-use development.
- Old Business
- The first Transportation Advisory Commission (TAC) meeting of 2007 was held on the 2nd of January. Several items were of interest to the Sully community:
More information on the items above is available. In addition, staff has finalized the list of proposed trail improvements for inclusion in the FY 2007 Bond Referendum. The Sully item going forward is a pedestrian bridge along the west side of Ashburton Avenue where it crosses Horsepen Run. The bridge and access trails total 950 feet and are expected to cost $476,000. Staff comnsiders it a classic missing link.
- Community Parking Districts
- Proposed trails for inclusion in 2007 countywide bond referendum
- County Federal Transportation Funding priorities
- Transportation Updates to the Comprehensive Plan
- New Business
- VDOT Advances Study for I-66 Westbound Spot Improvements Inside Beltway
- On Thursday, Jan. 12, 2006, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority recommended moving forward with the spot improvements proposed by the Idea-66 Feasibility Study.
- On Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006 the Transportation Planning Board approved the $9.6M funding for the spot improvements.
- VDOT is conducting a spot improvement design study. The three spot improvements are:
- The extension of the on-ramp from Fairfax Drive to Sycamore Street
- The extension of the acceleration lane from Washington Boulevard to the Dulles Airport Access Highway, and the addition of a lane on the Washington Boulevard on-ramp
- The extension of the on-ramp from Route 29 (Spout Run) to Glebe Road.
- A public workshop was held on January 23, 2007 at Washington-Lee High School as an opportunity to receive input from the community on the spot improvements which the Sully TAC representative attended. It is his opinion, which he provided in comments, that unless a through third lane is provided all that will happen is that more traffic will end up stuck at the remaining two-lane choke points, a situation not unlike what existed on westbound I-66 under Rt 123 where it was two-lanes until it was widened in the 1990s.
- Scheduled Meetings/Activities:
- UOSA will be hosting a public information meeting to discuss the Cub Run Gravity Delivery System Improvements Project
- When: January 29, 2007 at 7:00 p.m
- Where:Stone Middle School 5500 Sully Park Drive Centreville, VA 20120
- Why: The Upper Occoquan Sewage Authority (UOSA) is preparing to replace approximately 24,000 linear feet of sewer pipelines in the Cub Run Gravity Delivery System (CRGDS). The CRGDS serves Western Fairfax County, delivering raw sewage to the Cub Run Pump Station. Constructed in the 1970s, the CRGDS is located within Cub Run Stream Valley Park, part of the Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) system. The purpose of this meeting is to inform residents of the affected community about the construction project and receive comments from the public.
- Planned for 28 February 2007 Meeting
- Land Use and Transportation
Jeffrey M. Parnes
Chair, Sully District Council
Land Use and Transportation Committee
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
2006, 2007 ©SDC;
last modified Wednesday, 25 Janyary 2007
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2008 @ Sullydistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes