Agenda for 24 October 2007 Sully District Council Meeting
by Jeff Parnes
- The Sully District Council will meet at 7:00 p.m. in the Sully District Governmental Center meeting room 1, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly, VA, 20151. The meeting will be canceled if Fairfax County Schools or after school activities are canceled due to adverse weather the day of the meeting..
- Topic: Transportation Improvements in or near Sully
- Presentation on proposed Fairfax County transportation bond referendum
- Presentation by VDOT (John Lynch) and FDOT (Karyn Moreland and Mike Lake) staff members
- Land Use and Transportation
- Old Business
- On 11 Oct 2007 the PC recommended approval on Schlick [revised] (Keith Martin's three-lot subdivision in Franklin Corner). There will be a 2 to 3 foot retaining wall on Lot 1 and a regular dry pond. It's been changed from R-2 to PDH-2; deleted the bioretention facilities and most of the retaining walls and added a swm pond on the outlot.
- New Business
- Highway Tolling Has Entered the Mainstream by Ken Orski
- Changes to the Metrobus 2W, 12 and 20 lines were the subject of 13 October public meeting at Chantilly High School
- The Fairfax County Department of Transportation is seeking input about transportation needs from passengers and residents served by these routes.
- The Fairfax Connector bus system is scheduled to take over the Chantilly, Centreville and Oakton Metrobus routes in early 2009.
- There will be follow-up meetings in December.
- See the Chantilly Times article on the meeting
- Stringfellow Road widening approved, see Chantilly Times article on same
- Scheduled Meetings/Activities:
- Invasive Management workdays
- Everyone wants to be outside during this beautiful fall weather. Here is an opportunity to be outside and help the Park Authority and help with their Invasive Management program. On Saturday, October 27th, 12 of the Invasive Management Area sites will be working with Volunteer Fairfax to remove invasive plants, and some will be starting to replant with native plants. To see a calendar of all of our workdays and to RSVP for a Volunteer Fest event, go to http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/resources/IMA/IMA-calendar.htm
- Town Meeting on November 1 from 5 pm - 7 pm to discuss Integrated Strategies to Addressing Particle Pollution and Climate Change
- Hosted by the Metropolitan Washington Air Quality Committee (MWAQC) and the Air Quality Public Advisory Committee (AQPAC).
- The meeting will be informational with one hour of discussion and Q & A.
- If you have questions, send an e-mail to Kambiz.Agazi @ fairfaxcounty.com .
- Mark your calendars for Friday, November 9, for the Chesapeake Conservation Landscaping Council Conference.
- Virginia will be hosting the 2nd Chesapeake Conservation Landscaping Council conference in November 2007. The first conference was held in Bethesda, MD. This one will be very close to home.
- The purpose of the conference is to inform the public about conservation landscaping and design methods that improve or restore water quality and wildlife habitats. For more information about the conference, visit www.chesapeakelandscape.org .
- Tentative topics include
- Rain gardens vs. bioretention ponds;
- alternatives to traditional plantings and designing with native plants;
- IPM and beneficial insects;
- tree planting and soils for urban forestry;
- installing living shorelines. . . and much more!
- Land managers, designers, local planners, landscapers and others with a stake in conserving Virginia's natural resources are encouraged to attend.
- Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale Campus, 8333 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003-3796
- West County High School Boundary Study
- Currently there are significant enrollment and capacity imbalances among high schools in the western portion of the county. Community members have expressed concern over the impact these imbalances have on programs and extra curricular activities. The School Board has directed staff to conduct a boundary study to address these concerns. The scope of these studies has been posted.
- For additional information on the boundary studies, please contact the Office of Facilities Planning Services at 703-246-6930.
- Meeting dates:
- November 12 7:30 p.m. Chantilly High School
- December 3 7:30 p.m. Westfield High School
- December 19 7:30 p.m. Oakton High School
- The Audubon Society of Northern Virginia will hold a workshop the morning of Saturday, November 17, on how to be an effective advocate for conservation. The workshop is free.
- The Audubon Society of Northern Virginia (ASNV) invites all advocates -- novices and veterans -- to attend an advocacy training workshop on November 17, 2007, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon to get tips on how to advocate for conservation. Topics to be covered include who makes decisions on what, how to meet with an elected official and how to influence public policy. No previous experience is required.
- Presenters are Virginia Delegate David Bulova, National Audubon Society staffer Connie Mahan and ASNV Vice President Glenda Booth. The workshop will be held at the Hidden Oaks Nature Center, 4022 Hummer Road, Annandale, Virginia (just inside the Beltway at the Annandale/Little River Turnpike east exit). There is no charge.
- Please reply to Virginia at info @ asnv.org or (703)256-6895 by October 26.
- Sign up and learn how to influence conservation policy at all levels of government. Handouts and other materials will be provided.
- Upcoming Hearings for Bus Lines 12, 20, 2W
- Dec. 1, 10:30 a.m. at the Chantilly Regional Library, 4000 Stringfellow Road.
- Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m. at the Centreville Regional Library, 14200 St. Germain Drive.
- Planned for 28 November 2007 Meeting
- Land Use and Transportation
Jeffrey M. Parnes
Chair, Sully District Council
Land Use and Transportation Committee
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2008 @ Sullydistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes