Sully District Council of Citizens Associations
P.O. Box 230042
Sully Station, VA 20120-0042
for 28 July 2021 Sully District Council Meeting
by Jeff Parnes
Stop! Is your Organization/Association a member of the Sully District Council of Citizens Associations?
If Not, Why Not? The dues are only $10 a year
In numbers there is strength
Your membership helps pay for our WebEx license and the maintenance of website
We want and need your membership
- The Sully District Council of Citizen Associations will meet virtually at 7:00 p.m. on 28 July 2021.
Please login ten minutes before the start of the meeting
The Sully District Council requires each participant in our online meetings to identify themselves. If your screen name does not provide enough information to identify yourself, or you are a call-in participant, you will be asked to identify yourself. If after repeated requests, you choose not to do so, you will be disconnected from the meeting.
- Time to renew your association's membership in the Sully District Council. Our membership application can now be submitted on line! Please complete it, and then print a copy to enclose with your check.
Has yours made plans to join us for 2021?
- Sully District Council is Social!
- This month's Council meeting is scheduled for 7:00, Wednesday, 30 June 2021.
- Topic: County Libraries:
- Liz Walker, Sully Trustee to Library Board
- Christine Jones, Deputy Library Director
- Helen Ignatenko, Centreville Librarian
- Ingrid Bowers, Chantilly Librarian
- The presentation slides are available in pdf and powerpoint
- Following the July Sully District Council meeting the SDC board will meet to determine the remainder of membership meeting topics for 2021 and early 2022
- The Joint Sully Land Use and Transportation Committee (JSDLU&TC) met on Monday, 26 July 2021. For more information see the meeting notes and/or watch a video of the meeting (from our website or the SDCCA YouTube Channel)
- Old Business
- The tentative Sully District Council of Citizens Associations schedule for the remainder of 2021 (subject to change)
- 25 August: No summer meeting
- 22 September: Either Legislative candidate's night with the League of Woman Voters, third Sully BAC members' report or Emergency Services in or near Sully
- 27 October: Either Legislative candidate's night with the League of Woman Voters, third Sully BAC members' report or Emergency Services (fire and rescue) in or near Sully
- 17 November: Either third Sully BAC members' report or Emergency (fire and rescue) Services in or near Sully
- 15 December: Dulles Airport
Items of General Interest:
- Planning and land use applications can now be processed through the online PLUS system
- Consider learning about the new county PLUS SYSTEM — lots of information
- For more information on the PLUS project and additional resources, visit the PLUS Support Center.
- For technical questions or need assistance using the PLUS system, contact the Help Desk:
- Hours of Operation: Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Email: PLUSSupport@FairfaxCounty.gov
- Phone: 703-324-2222, TTY 711
- PLUS - PLUS - Accela Citizen Access
- Admin ALU & HBB Applications Accepted Weekly
- Applications Accepted Weekly
- Currently In-Process BOS and PC Cases
- Currently In-Process BZA Zoning Cases
- Currently in-Process Urban Center Zoning Cases
- Zoning Application Board (BOS) Package
- Last week the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board (TPB) voted overwhelmingly to add the Maryland HOT Lanes project back into the region's Long-Range Transportation Plan.
- This is a major victory for our region and the residents who are stuck in soul-crushing traffic day-in and day-out on the American Legion Bridge and I-270.
- Now elected officials who did the right thing and restored this project need to hear from you. Click here to send a letter to the TPB and thank them for taking action
- Saturday, July 31 — Public online forum #3 on Housing, Equity, and Race: Fair Housing in the DMV Region (9:30 am start)
- Saturday, July 31 — Nominate for the Friends of Trees / Tree Preservation Awards by July 31
- Those who have demonstrated outstanding conservation-based actions in preserving, protecting or planting trees may be eligible for this award from the Tree Commission.
- The nomination period for the commission's annual Friends of Trees and Tree Preservation and Planting Awards began Thursday, July 1, 2021 and will continue through Saturday, July 31.
- Individuals and organizations may be nominated for various tree related projects or programs. The following types of projects or programs may be nominated:
- Preservation: projects or programs for land or easement donations or appropriate tree care
- Education: projects or programs that create publications, interpretive trail development, tree marking with identification tags, or presentations to the public about preservation, protection or tree planting
- Planting: projects or programs that conduct seedling plantings, riparian restoration plantings or heritage species plantings
- Maintenance: innovative tree care projects or programs without traditional funding sources
- Please click here to submit a nomination and for more information. Winners will be announced this fall.
- Saturday, July 31 — The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) Needs Commuter and Resident Feedback on Future
- The survey seeks input on public parking needs and usage in Tysons Urban Center and Reston Transit Station Areas to help the County make parking plans.
- FCDOT's goal is to provide parking that supports the mixed-use development in these increasingly urban areas of the County.
- The survey is available in both English and Spanish and will be available through July 31, 2021.
- Learn more and take the survey in either English or Spanish here
- Tuesday, Aug 3 — The Virginia Redistricting Commission: In-Person Public Hearing for Richmond/Central Region on Aug 3rd at 6pm
- The Virginia Redistricting Commission will be hosting an in-person public hearing to solicit public comment on the drawing of state and congressional legislative districts for the Richmond/Central region in Senate Room A at the Pocahontas Building in Richmond on Tuesday, August 3rd at 6:00pm.
- This is the last in-person hearing before the census data arrives — even if this is not your region, you can still share your in-person or virtual comment!
- These hearings are a vital part of this historic redistricting process — it's the first time in Virginia's history that public input will have a real impact on the legislative maps we'll all be living under for the next decade.
- Interested in making public comment?
- To speak in person, you'll need to register onsite between 5:00 and 7:00pm on August 3rd.
- To speak virtually, you'll need to register online 24 hours in advance. Registration closes August 2nd at 6pm. Comments will be limited to three minutes.
- Click here to view the VRC's Public Participation Guidelines. You can also take a look at a few tips we've put together to help.
- Not sure which region you're in? Check this map to be sure.
- Click here to view the hearing flyer and share with your neighborhood.
- For those who are unable to attend, the hearing will be live streamed and archived online. Click here to watch the livestream.
- There will also be virtual hearings to provide opportunities for those unable to attend in person. Click here to see the full schedule of meetings, as well as sign up information..
- For more information, go to https://virginiaredistricting.org/
- Monday, August 23 — Start of Fairfax County Public Schools 2021-2022 school year
- Friday, August 27 — Last day to apply for the Community Fire and Rescue Academy
- Wednesday, September 8 — Lunch and Learn — Accessory Structures and Other Residential Changes at 12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 15 — Lunch and Learn — Commercial and Industrial Changes at 12:00 p.m.
As circumstances permit, next month's meetings will start at 7 PM virtually
- The next Sully District Council meeting will be held on Wednesday, 22 September 2021.
- Topic: Our Ninth Biennial State Legislative Candidates Night with the League of Woman Voters, Fairfax Area
- Next month's Joint Sully Land Use and Transportation Committee is scheduled for Monday, 16 August 2021.
- 7:00 — Dulles Discovery South Secure Office Campus - PCA/CDPA/FDPA 2017-SU-011
- Name: Susan Yantis, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- Details: Dulles Discovery South Secure Office Campus - PCA/CDPA/FDPA 2017-SU-011. DD South 5 LC (the "Applicant"), a related entity of the Peterson Companies, submitted an Application on a portion of the DDS campus consisting of approx. 11.92 acres and identified on Tax Map Parcels 34-2-((1))-2C2 pt.,-2D2 pt. and -2E1 pt. The purpose of the Application is to provide a Support Building and to reduce the building height of DD5 and its related gross floor area.
- Location: DDS is located south of Air and Space Museum Parkway, between Sully Road (Rt. 28) and Centreville Road.
- Is Exempt
- Read Statement – Not Applicable
- Note that as of late August the county will allow in person meeting of vaccinated attendees; the Sully District Council of Citizens Associations plans to hold joint in person/virtual meetings, please bear with us as we explore the technical feasibility.