22 April 2015 Sully District Council Meeting Minutes
by Jim Neighbors, Secretary
- CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by Council President Mark McConn at 7:00 PM. This town hall budget meeting, jointly sponsored by the SDC and Sully Supervisor Michael Frey and Sully School Board Member Cathy Smith was held in the Rocky Run Intermediate School, 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly, VA 20151
- The minutes for the March 2015 Sully District Council are available online.
- Refer to the April agenda for meeting announcements.
- SULLY DISTRICT COUNCIL TWEETS!
- Follow us at @SullyDistrict!
- For transportation and related issues, follow the Sully District Transportation Advisory Commissioner at @SullyTAC
- MEMBERSHIP PRESENTATION
- Land Use and Transportation Committee:
8:30 - Akridge Westfields Development
- Proponent: Lori R. Greenlief, Senior Land Use Planner, McGuireWoods LLP
- Action: Development
- Location: Westfields
Proposals for development on this site were previously considered by the Land Use and Transportation committee in May 2015.
In February the Land Use and Transportation committee considered the out-of-turn Plan Amendment that would be required for this land to be rezoned for majority residential use. The Plan Amendment needs to be approved by the PC and BOS before the rezoning requested by Abridge can be allowed to go forward. The council endorsed the plan amendment with reservations by some members. The reservations are the traffic, school, and park impacts. The primarily residential development could add over 75 new students to Cub Run Elementary School and almost 40 students to Westfield HS. The residential development would probably provide less traffic than commercial development during weekday rush hours. Finally, the council strongly recommended that the development has easy transportation access (pedestrian or cycling) to the local commercial areas. For example, pedestrian and bike signal lights added to the intersection of Stonecroft Blvd and Westfield Blvd will improve safety and connectivity to Weststone Plaza as well as the Sully Shopping Center. Finally, the development could add more residents to the local parks and Cub Run Recreation Center in Chantilly.
Since the last presentation, Akridge has now switched from apartments, office and retail to retail, apartments, condos and townhouses. The current plan for The Preserve of Westfields was shown at the February Sully Station HOA meeting.
During the April 2015 meeting, the council indicated it would not object to the plan amendment but it had reservations concerning school and transportation impacts.
- 9:15 - Discovery Plan Amendment
- Proponent: Tarek S. Bolden, Department of Planning & Zoning, Planning Division, Policy & Plan Development Branch
- Action: Plan Amendment 2015-III-DS2 Timber Ridge
- Location: Dulles Suburban Center, Land Unit D-3, Timber Ridge (Tax Map Parcel 24-4 ((1)) 6B4). The Timber Ridge development project is located on the west side of Centreville Road, north of Wall Road and east of the HP campus.
At the January 27, 2015 Board of Supervisors (Board) Meeting, the Board authorized the consideration of a Comprehensive Plan amendment for Dulles Suburban Center, Land Unit D-3, Timber Ridge (Tax Map Parcel 24-4 ((1)) 6B4).
The approved development plan for the Timber Ridge site is for a mix of uses, and includes residential, office and retail components at an intensity of .70 FAR. The approved development plan includes three office buildings as part of the mixed-use development, to be located along Air and Space Museum Parkway, a new connector road completed as part of the development.
The applicant is proposing to replace the approved office use with residential uses – specifically townhomes. This will require a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to revise the recommended land use mix. The Plan amendment will also consider the inclusion of a senior center, youth sports facility, or other County facility on the site.
The Department of Planning and Zoning (DPZ) wanted to meet with the Sully District Council to discuss this Plan amendment and gather feedback.
During the April 2015 meeting, the council indicated it would not object to the plan amendment. However, the council still has concerns about the overall impact of commercial to residential land-use conversion in western Fairfax County
NEXT MEMBERSHIP MEETING - Wednesday 27 May 2015
- Membership Topic: Report from Richmond by Sully State Legislators
- State Senators
- Janet Howell (32nd District) - Confirmed (may arrive late)
- Jennifer Wexton (33rd District) -
- Chap Petersen (34th District) -
- David Marsden (37th District) - Confirmed
- George Barker (39th District) -
- House of Delegates
- Kenneth Plum (36th District) -
- Dave Bulova (37th District) - Confirmed
- Timothy Hugo (40th District) - Confirmed (may need to leave early)
- Jim LeMunyon (67th District) - Confirmed
- Tom Rust (86th District) - Confirmed
- Land Use and Transportation Committee:
- 8:30 - Regency Centers @ Commonwealth Centre
- Proponent: Susan Yantis, Senior Land Use Planner, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Action: Comprehensive Plan Amendment 2015-III-DS1 and Proffered Condition Amendment/Final Development Plan Amendment 2006-SU-025-02
- Location: Commonwealth Center is located immediately east of the interchange at Route 28/Westfields Boulevard
Commonwealth Centre consists of approximately 101 acres and was approved in 2007 for development of 1.41 million square feet of office, hotel and retail uses.. The Applicant, Regency Centers, proposes to substitute for a 21-acre portion of the approved office and hotel uses at Commonwealth Centre a Wegmans Market and other complimentary restaurant and retail uses intended to serve Westfields employees, visitors and nearby residents.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:50 p.m.
Respectively submitted by,
Sully District Council
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2015 @ SullyDistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes