Sully District Council of Citizens Associations
P.O. Box 230042
Sully Station, VA 20120-0042
Agenda for 13 March 2019 Sully District Council of Citizens Associations Meeting
by Jeff Parnes
- The Sully District Council of Citizens Associations will meet at 7:00 p.m. on 13 March 2019 the second, rather than the third, Monday, in Chantilly High School's Lecture Hall versus the Sully District Governmental Center. The meeting will be canceled if Fairfax County Schools or after school activities are canceled due to adverse weather the day of the meeting.
- Time to renew your association's membership in the Sully District Council. Our membership application can now be submitted on line! Please complete it, and then print a copy to enclose with your check.
Has yours made plans to join us for 2019?
- Sully District Council Tweets!
- Follow us at @SullyDistrict!
- For transportation and related issues, follow the Sully District Transportation Advisory Commissioner at @SullyTAC
The Sully District Council Membership meeting topic:
- The Sully District Council co-sponsors with Sully Supervisor Kathy Smith and Sully School Board member Tom Wilson the 2019 Sully District Budget Town Hall.
Joint Sully Land Use and Transportation Committee meeting will be held on 18 March
- 7:00 -- Pomeroy case PCA C-637-05 follow-up discussion
- 7:50 -- Zoning Ordinance amendment regarding Community Gardens, Farmers Markets, Gardening as an Accessory Use and Related Changes
Items of General Interest:
- Current events at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
- Shaping the Future Together: Fairfax County Launches Strategic Planning Effort
- What does the future of Fairfax County look like? Fairfax County Government is beginning a strategic planning process with the community to shape the future together. Its goal is to hear all voices and reach all segments of our community.
- What are hopes and aspirations for the future of our community? What challenges do we face and what priorities must we address first? This effort will span most of 2019, but in this first phase, the community is being asked to:
To read the full article, click here.
The Fairfax County Federation of Citizens Associations requests the pleasure of your company at the Sixty-Ninth Annual Awards Banquet honoring 2018 Fairfax County Citizen of the Year
- Take a short five-question online survey
- Share the survey and conservation invitation with neighbors, co-workers, and county family and friends
Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Community Leadership Institute:
- Sunday, the seventh of April at the Tysons Corner Doubletree Hotel, Tysons Corner, Virginia, Cash bar Cocktails 5:30, Program 6:30 p.m.
- Fairfax County Citizen of the Year: Cathy Ledec
- Citation of Merit Honorees: Tania Hossain and Alberto Sangiorgio
- Special Gratitude Award: John Ribble, III
- Click here for more details, or to RSVP or Pay via credit card.
12 March FCDOT Presentation on RT 28 Widening
- The Community Leadership Institute, or CLI, is an educational program that encourages successful community leaders to get involved in transportation-related decision-making at all levels. Over the course of three workshops, participants learn how, where, and when transportation decisions are made in the region.
- The CLI includes information about the various planning processes at the state, regional, and local levels. CLI participants learn to be regional transportation leaders by connecting the interests of their local communities, constituencies, and elected officials with the planning issues facing the entire metropolitan Washington region. By reviewing case studies and participating in interactive group activities, participants also learn about the relationship between land use, jobs, housing, and transportation, and the implications of growth in the region.
- The CLI is facilitated by former TPB Chair Kathy Porter, a former member of the WMATA Board of Directors and former Mayor of Takoma Park, Maryland.
- The Spring 2019 CLI well be held Thursday April 18, 25, and Thursday, May 2. Sessions go from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Dinner is served starting at 5:30 p.m. All three sessions will be the COG offices in Downtown DC.
- Apply to participate in the Spring 2019 CLI: https://www.mwcog.org/transportation/programs/community-leadership-institute.
Jim Hart reports that there was a large crowd, with about a hundred attendees, including Sully Supervisor Smith and Delegate Danica Rome.
- The road will be widened to 6 lanes only due to lack of money to do the rest but it is planned for 8 lanes later.
- Additional lanes go in the median later.
- Some median crossings will be closed.
- They plan on opening the 6 lanes in 2023.
- The Fairfax County Strategic Plan Public Meetings:
- The county will hold engagement events in every region of the county. The meetings will be organized into moderated conversation groups of residents from your local community where you will have the opportunity to share your thoughts, insights, opinions, and experiences that will be used to help shape a countywide strategic plan.
- Arrangements for child care and transportation assistance, and interpretation services can be made by calling Amy Ordonez at 703-787-4962, TTY 711, or emailing email@example.com.
- Meetings are scheduled for:
- Date: Thursday, March 14, 2019
Time: 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Location Ox Hill Baptist Church (4101 Elmwood Street, Chantilly, VA 20151)
- Fairfax County Parkway/Franconia-Springfield Parkway second round of community meetings
- A second round of community meetings will be held to refine potential improvements to the Fairfax County Parkway/Franconia-Springfield Parkway by corridor segment this spring.
- Meetings will be held:
- March 27 at Willow Springs Elementary School in Fairfax;
- March 28 at Armstrong Elementary School in Reston; and
- April 4 at Sangster Elementary School in Springfield.
- Meeting details: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transportation/study/fairfax-county-parkway.
Next month's meetings will start at 7 PM in the Sully District Governmental Center Front Meeting Room, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly, VA, 20151, unless otherwise indicated.
- The next Sully District Council meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, 24 April 2019.
- Revisiting Land Use and Transportation issues at the Tri-County Junction
- The Joint Sully Land Use and Transportation Committee is scheduled for Monday, 18 March 2019.