Sully District Council of Citizens Associations
P.O. Box 230042
Sully Station, VA 20120-0042
Notes from the 3 April 2018 Joint Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee
by Jeff Parnes, Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee Chair
- Sully District Council of Citizen Associations representatives:
Lewis Grimm, 2nd Vice President, Franklin Farm
Mark McConn, President, Bull Run Estates
Jim Neighbors, Secretary, Sully Station I
Jeff Parnes, 1st Vice President, Chantilly Highlands
Kelly Atkinson, DPZ, Fairfax County
Lori R. Greenlief, Senior Land Use Planner, McGuireWoods LLP
Jim Hart, At-Large Planning Commissioner
Charles Kieler, Kieler
Peter Rinek, Vika
Alex Templeton, Land Use coordinator, Sully Staff
Shelly Williams, DPZ, Fairfax County
Rajai Zumot, Zumot Dev
- CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order by Sully District Council President Mark McConn at 7:00 PM.
- PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES:
Notes from the 6 March 2018 Joint Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee are available online.
- MEETING ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Refer to the April Joint Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee agenda for meeting announcements.
- SULLY DISTRICT COUNCIL TWEETS!
- Follow us at @SullyDistrict!
- For transportation and related issues, follow the Sully District Transportation Advisory Commissioner at @SullyTAC
The April SDC Membership Meeting will be held on 24 April 2018, the fourth Tuesday
- Topic: Fairfax County Park Authority
- Maggie Godbold, Sully District Park Authority Board Member
- Park Authority Staff
LAND USE AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE:
- 7:00 -- Horsepen Run LLC, the RZ at Middleton Farms, now known as Fosters Glen
- Proponent:Lori R. Greenlief, Senior Land Use Planner, McGuireWoods LLP
- Action: Rezoning
- Location: Middleton Farms
This committee previously heard this application in February 2018 before the staff report was available. At that time the recommendation was that the SDC had no objection to the approval of the Middleton Farm Rezonimg; WFFCA made no determination.
- Meeting Discussion:
- Plan amendment passed. SDC concerns regarding the widening of Frying Pan Road was raised at PC Plan amendment hearing. FCDOT indicated that they were looking for funds from the 2014 bond issue to plan the widening. The PC indicated that everyone was in agreement that the road should be a priority, but no funds were identified to make it happen.
- Lori Greenlief gave a presentation on the proposed development (pdf) (pptx)
- PC hearing is scheduled for on 26 April
- Schedule -- Phase 1 -- Build N/S road, which will continue with the name of Sunrise Valley Drive (floodplain letter was received from staff); the road is already designed, with the floodplain letter they can finalize the bridge (three concrete spans – looking at plan approval within 6 months
- Working with VDOT to approve plans to modify current signal at Sunrise Valley Drive and Frying Pan Road
- Some rear lots will need sound walls to bring the noise level to suitable levels
- There will be sufficient parking for visitors
- Parking for the new park fields will be off Sunrise Valley Drive, residents of this development will need to make a U-turn to get to the park fields
- Access to/from the Jackson Property is not finalized, pending the Jackson Plan Amendment, but is required by the Middle Farms plan amendment
- Recommendation: The SDC has reaffirmed that it had no objection to the approval of the Middleton Farm Rezonimg, but identified two concerns:
Dan Stevens. the project manager for the Frying Pan Road six lane widening project that will go from Route 28 to Centreville Road, provided this update after the meeting:
- The ability of drivers going north on the North/South Connector to make a u-turn so as to get to the new park fields parking lots
- There needs to be a plan to facilitate the improvement of Frying Pan Road from its intersection with Sunrise Valley Drive to its intersection of Centreville Road
- The plan moving forward with the project is that once the land use in the vicinity of Frying Pan Road and Sunrise Valley Drive is finalized (i.e. Dulles Suburban Center study, rezonings), FCDOT will establish the next steps for a study.
- The study will be more involved than what was done for the Dulles Suburban Center study and the rezonings. Assuming that all of the land use plans and rezoning cases are finalized this spring, FCDOT could start scoping out a study by late spring/early summer.
- Concerning the timing of when Frying Pan Road will be widened to six lanes, they will have a better idea once they scope out the study.
7:30 -- PCA 82-S-032-02 (Sterling Center LC) on Penrose Place (link to staff report)
- Proponent:Rajai Zumot
- Action: Proffered Condition Amendment (PCA 82-S-032-02)
- Location: West side of Sully Road and south side of Penrose Place approximately 800 feet east of Lee Road
The applicant seeks approval of a proffered condition amendment (PCA) to
permit a modification to the proffers to delete a requirement to develop in conformance with a plan that is no longer applicable.
- Meeting Discussion:
- The project is a by-right I6 development. In 1992 Southern States gained permission to use the site for petroleum use (southern portion of the has office building on it site). In 1992 the remaining I6 uses were limited to petroleum use only.
- Current request is to build another office on the northern portion of the site that is limited to petroleum uses only. They are submitting request to change the wording to allow otherwise allowed I6 uses and development plan for the additional office.
- The developer is building the office on speculation. His philosophy is to build manage the construction, the leasing and the maintenance of the building, keeping the structure rather than selling to others. All his other existing buildings are full, and he expects this to be fully rented as well.
- Site has been certified as environmental clean -- all petroleum uses remains have been removed.
- Hope to start this construction this fall; it will one year to build shell, another year to rent it out.
- He is offering $100,000 to install light. Waiting for VDOT to provide plans -- which should be in place in the next year
- He will provide health facility in building and electric charging stations
- PC date 19 April
- Recommendation: The SDC has no objection to the approval of the Proffered Condition Amendment.
Items of General Interest:
At-Large Planning Commissioner Jim Hart requested that the members individually review the following two items and provide their feedback to himself or Sully Planning Commissioner Donte Tanner.
- Short-Term Property Rentals in Fairfax County
- Rear yard coverage ZOA
Next month's meetings will start at 7 PM in the Sully District Governmental Center Front Meeting Room, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly, VA, 20151 unless otherwise noted
- The next Sully District Council meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 7 p.m.
- Membership Topic: Report from Richmond
- All five State Senators and five Members of the House of Delegates who represent Sully have been invited.
- The joint Sully District Land Use and Transportation Committee will met on the third Monday of May, on the 21st (see the agenda).
- There are no items for consideration at this time
The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:15 p.m.
Jeffrey M. Parnes
Land Use and Transportation Committee Chair
Sully District Council
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2018 @ SullyDistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes