Sully District Council of Citizens Associations
P.O. Box 230042
Sully Station, VA 20120-0042
22 June 2016 Sully District Council Meeting Minutes
by Jim Neighbors, Secretary
- Al Francese, Little Rocky Run
- Jay Johnston, Treasurer, Virginia Run
- Jeff Parnes, 1st Vice President, Chantilly Highlands
- Jim Neighbors, Secretary, Sully Station I
- Lewis Grimm, 2nd Vice President, Franklin Farms
- Mark McConn, President, Bull Run Estates
- Michael Hanson, Armfield Farms
- Ardavan Badii, Bullion & Diamond Co. LLC.
- Beth Spratt, Monster Mini-Golf
- Frank McDermott, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Gerald L. Gordon, Ph.D., President and CEO, Fairfax County Economic Development Authority
- Geoff Pence, The Pence Group
- Kevin Felliw, Traffic Engineer, Wells and Associates
- Neda Nadjmabadi, Bullion & Diamond Co. LLC.
- Philip Scranage, Policy Manager, Sully District
- Sara Mariska, Walsh Colucci Lubeley & Walsh PC
- Tony Claridge, Monster Mini-Golf
- CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order by Council President Mark McConn at 7:00 PM.
- MEETING ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Refer to the June agenda for meeting announcements.
- SULLY DISTRICT COUNCIL TWEETS!
- Follow us at @SullyDistrict!
- For transportation and related issues, follow the Sully District Transportation Advisory Commissioner at @SullyTAC
- MEMBERSHIP TOPIC
- LAND USE AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE:
- 8:15 -- Fast Food restaurant in Chantilly Place Shopping Center
- Proponent: Frank McDermott, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Action: Special Exception Amendment SEA 88-S-077-07
- Location: Chantilly Place Shopping Center, Willard Road, East of Rt 28
Frank McDermott introduced Geoff Pence, a principal of The Pence Group and Kevin Felliw, a traffic engineer.
The SEA would allow the development of a proposed fast food restaurant with a drive-through window in the Chantilly Place Shopping Center on approximately 1.415 acres identified on the Fairfax County Tax Map as parcel 44-1-((9))-6 (the "Property").
The Property is located along Willard Road between the newly renovated Sunoco service station/quick service food store/car wash and the easternmost entrance to Chantilly Place.
The transportation study showed that with a to-be-constructed right-turn ramp, and existing left-turn lane, there was sufficient capacity: no light is necessary at he entrance to the shopping center. Due to the existence of junction boxes and the steepness of slope from the existing parking lot to Willard Rd, the right-turn land will extend 75 feet in lieu of the standard 100 feet. No adverse impact is expected from the slightly shorter ramp.
As illustrated in the accompanying photo of the proposed restaurant there will be a double queue for the drive through window, and suitable parking spaces for the patrons. The tennaat will either be a fast food or casual fast food restaurant.
Determination: THE SDCCA has no objection to this Special Exception Amendment. We ask that if the staff report raises any objection, that the proponent return to the Sully District Council Land Use and Transportation Committee and indicate plans to address the staff concerns.
- 8:35 -- Monster Mini Golf in the Sullyfield Business Park
- Proponent: Sara Mariska, Walsh Colucci Lubeley & Walsh PC for A&E Entertainment LLC
- Action: Special Permit
- Location: 14130 Sullyfield Circle, Sullyfield Business Park
Sara Mariska introduced Beth Spratt and Tony Claridge, principals of Monster Mini-Golf.
A&E Entertainment LLC has a request for a special permit to allow a commercial recreation establishment at 14130 Sullyfield Circle. Beth and Tony propose an indoor miniature golf facility within an existing industrial building within the Sullyfield Business Park. This would be one of the first indoor mini golf establishments in Northern Virginia. The Applicant anticipates that approximately 70 people will use the facility at peak times which will be on nights and weekends when other tenants in the business park are closed. [Links to the presentation made at the meeting were removed per the request ion the proponents in July.]
See their presentation: pdf or ppt .
Plenty of parking, side and back - can use overflow from nearby aerospace firms when they're not in business
Across the street is the development's retention pond, an area where parnes with siblings might want to walk - we asked if they would help police the are and keep it clean. They indicated they eould as part of their ongoing grounds maintenance
Determination: THE SDCCA has no objection to this Special Permit. We ask that if the staff report raises any objection to it, that the proponent return to the Sully District Council Land Use and Transportation Committee and indicate plans to address the staff concerns.
As the proponent indicated that across the street from their facility was wet retention pond where their patrons might like to stroll, that they commit to help police the are to maintain its cleanliness and general appearance if it is degraded between its regularly scheduled refuse collection periods.
- 8:55 -- Jewelry Pawnshop (Jewelry, Precious Metals, Diamonds) in 50 West Plaza (Airline Parkway)
- OLD BUSINESS
- New State Law Concerning Proffers - As indicated previously, with the passage of a new state law concerning proffers, the county's attorney has generated a presentation detailing the changes to county's proffer authority. The presentation has been shared with the land use committees in the County and was presented at a public meeting of the Board of Supervisors' Development Process Committee.
- NEW BUSINESS
- ITEMS OF GENERAL INTEREST:
- NEXT MEMBERSHIP MEETING - The Sully District Council does not hold membership meetings during the summer months - our next meeting will be Tuesday, 6 September 2016
- JOINT WFCCA AND SDCCA LAND USE AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE:
- 5 July
- 7:00 -- ZOA for Shape Factor in the R-C
- Proponent: Lorrie Kirst, Zoning Administration Division, Department of Planning and Zoning, Fairfax County
- Action: Proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendment Concerning Shape Factor
- Location: R-C Districts
The proposed amendment addresses several items that are set forth in the 2015 Zoning Ordinance
Amendment Work Program, including the addition of shape factor in the R-C District, and the consideration of an increase in the maximum allowable building height in the R-C, R-E and R-1 Districts when the impact of the increased height on adjacent properties is mitigated. In addition, the proposed amendment would add language that facilitates the minor adjustment of lot lines between corner lots and the adjacent lots when such lots do not meet the current lot area, lot width and/or shape factor requirements, but met the requirements that were in effect when the lots were created. The need for this language has recently become apparent based on several minor lot line adjustment requests that have recently been submitted.
For more information see the forwarding memo or the staff report.
- 2 August
- 7:00 -- Costco Gas station (PCA 95-Y-016-06/SEA 95-Y-024-06)
- Proponent: Sheri L. Akin, AICP, Senior Land Use Planner, McGuireWoods LLP for Costco
- Action: PCA/SEA
- Location: Chantilly Crossing Shopping Center, Lee Road just south of RT 50
Costco is seeking to add a fuel station to their shopping experience. They originally appeared before the LU&T committee in February. At that time the committee had no objections, but ask that they come back with more information and the results of the staff report.
Respectively submitted by,
Sully District Council
Sully District Council Home Page
Sully District Council Minutes
Land Use & Transportation Committee Minutes
Data Area Transportation Association information
http://www.SullyDistrict.org webmaster2015 @ SullyDistrict.org
modified by Jeffrey M. Parnes